Job Opening: Compliance Specialist
Location: Lancaster, CA
Schedule: Full Time
1. Receive and process all Tax Credit recertification documents from tenants and review them for compliance and accuracy.
2. Ensures Compliance with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Program and other state and local funding programs for Affordable Housing.
3. Monitor sites for Regulatory and Company Policy Compliance.
4. Provides support at each of the Company’s Affordable Housing properties with on-site visits, and serves as a help desk for Compliance issues.
5. Utilizes knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to affordable multi-family housing development, and Housing Tax Credits program to evaluate projects and provide assistance to ensure property managers are compliant.
6. Understands and supports the Company’s Mission and Core Values.
7. Plans and conducts on-site reviews of projects whose funding sources consist of Tax Credits, Tax-Exempt Bonds, CalHFA, and other private and public sources.
8. Verifies compliance with rules and regulations of various funding sources, Fair Housing standards, and the Company’s Policies and Procedures.
9. Ensures Compliance with income limits and maximum allowable rent that are imposed by funding sources and regulatory agreements.
10. Assists the Compliance Manager/Supervisor with the implementation of policies, procedures, and processes, along with quarterly reports for properties financed with tax-exempt bonds.
11. Reviews and approves Annual Income Re-Certifications (A/Rs) and all new Move-In Files, as mandated by various programs such as HOME, LIHTC, etc.
12. Establishes Audit Calendar to ensure timely completion of A/Rs by the deadline.
13. Establishes and implements the Weekly File Audit Schedule to include a detailed follow-up report.
14. Provides a weekly update on completed and outstanding A/Rs.
15. Identifies trends in non-compliance and recommends appropriate corrective action through changes in policies and procedures, and training, and works with property managers to implement these.
16. Provides Compliance-related consultative services to site managers and their administrative staff, while serving as a “role model” for the on-site team.
17. Maintains the YARDI database and ensures that on-site staff is kept current on YARDI procedures and updates.
18. Ensures regular and predictable attendance.
19. Must have affordable housing Bond/Tax Credit certifications (Actual certificates/licenses, or proof of completion).
1. Two to three (2-3) years of experience in Tax Credit Affordable Housing Property Management or in a relevant Housing Regulatory Agency.
2. Multi-Site (or Regional) Residential Property Management experience preferred.
3. College degree is preferred
4. Must be a COS (Certified Occupancy Specialist) or CPO (Certified Profession of Occupancy).
5. Must also be certified as a TCS (Tax Credit Specialist), SCS (Site Compliance Specialist) or SHCM (Specialist in Housing Credit Management).
6. Certified in LIHTC Compliance.
7. Knowledge of Fair Housing laws, relevant California statutes, and local rent control laws as they apply to the leasing and occupancy of Tax Credit Affordable Housing.
8. Proficient in YARDI, along with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and able to use technology and software to improve processes and enhance efficiencies.
9. Detail-oriented and highly organized. Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
10. Able to stay calm and provide excellent customer service at all times, both externally and internally.
11. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
12. Committed to continuous learning to maintain up-to-date knowledge of rules and regulations.
13. Ability to understand instructions verbally and in written form.
14. Ability to communicate effectively, multi-task, and have good organizational skills.
15. Ability to frequently stand and walk.
16. Ability to periodically lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.