Job Opening: Director of Teaching and Learning for Elementary School
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Description: Join the administration team for a long-established religious private school as the Director of Teaching and Learning. The Director of Teaching and Learning will work to ensure that the school’s history of academic excellence, the warmth of its community, and the students’ enthusiastic engagement in learning only improve in the years to come.
1. Oversee and administer all aspects of academic life and communicate a clear educational vision to faculty.
2. Lead, mentor, observe, develop, support, supervise and evaluate all General Studies faculty.
3. Implement a rigorous General Studies curriculum that is well-thought-out and aligns with the goals and mission of the school.
4. Work to create pathways for advanced students to be challenged as well as to help students that require additional support.
5. Act as the educational fulcrum of General Studies.
6. Oversee and support the Department Chairs.
7. Provide recommendations to the Dean on recruitment and retention of faculty.
8. Conduct new/returning faculty orientation and faculty meetings.
9. Facilitate teacher’s transition through classroom placement, supply purchasing, and scheduling
concerns as it pertains to the curriculum.
10. Coordinate curriculum advancement and continuity with the STEAM director.
11. Train, manage, and support the education of Teacher Assistants, Associate Teachers and Substitutes.
11. Liaise with the CAL department and the Judaic Studies Principal on management of curriculum education.
12. Coordinate, schedule, and lead two transition meetings (mid-year and end-of-year) between grades (e.g. 4th and 5th grade GS teachers).
13. Coordinate, develop, and lead workshops on objectives-based grading for applicable grades.
14. Facilitate training on all school contracted grading software.
15. Create structures and guidelines in regards to homework quantity and quality.
16. Support parental concerns regarding General Studies teaching staff and General Studies curriculum concerns.
17. Act as liaison with the COO, JS Principal, and Director of Administration and Students.
18. Work with feeder school administrators and teachers on school-wide academic goals, curriculum and assessments.
19. Assist the administrative team with general campus supervision, including co/ extra-curricular activities and events as needed.
20. Assist with preparation of the School Instructional Calendar. Plan, coordinate, and schedule professional development days, recruitment of speakers, and determine yearly schoolwide themes.
21. Serve as an ambassador to all stakeholders and visiting parties to present and define the school’s General Studies curricular design, scope and sequence, and student learner outcomes.
22. Maintain a visible presence in all areas of the school, and work towards a resolution of all problems as they arise, keeping the Dean and Rav informed of those issues.
1. Minimum of 7 years of elementary teaching experience in a private, religious or charter school.
2. Experience in an education-based managerial position.
3. Bachelor’s required, Master’s degree desired.
4. Excellent communication skills.
5. History of positive relationships with both teachers and parents.
6. Collaborative thinker, relationship builder, creative problem solver.
7. Experience in mentoring teachers in differentiated instruction.
8. Ability and willingness to help boil down education to the essentials without sacrificing student engagement to meet the time constraints of a dual-curriculum environment.
9. Able to commit to a full-time, in-school position beginning July 2021.
Compensation: $150,000-$180,000 plus benefits.