Job Opening: High School College Counselor
Location: Flatbush, NY
Schedule: Full time during the 10 month school year (end of August through June) Monday-Thursday 8:30 AM –5:15 PM, Friday 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM. As needed during summer months.
1. Confer with parents and assists them with problems and decisions which relate directly to the college related decisions of their child.
2. Conduct structured, goal-oriented, individual, college counseling sessions to assist students in exploring, interpreting and developing personal decision making competencies, to enhance self-esteem and self understanding; develop academic, career and personal/social life plans.
3. Under the direction of the Director of College Counseling, work with teachers, the counseling team, and parents, advise students in developing appropriate course choices based on long range plans of study and identified career interests.
4. Review, evaluate, and maintain students’ academic records.
5. Collect, coordinate, interpret and disseminate meaningful information about students which leads to the collaboration with other professionals to address students’ individual needs and special abilities.
6. Use tools and techniques to appraise and assess the abilities, achievements, personal development and interests of students.
7. Guide students in developing present and future educational and career plans; interpret assessments to assist students in career and educational planning; guide students in developing career and educational plans through teaching and/or supervision of career development activities.
8. Coordinate opportunities and identify students to participate in visits to college campuses, vocational institutions and the like.
9. Oversee a caseload of 40-50 high school students and be in direct communication with students, parents, teachers and other relevant personnel, regarding their college goals, applications, and outcomes.
10. Develop and teach college preparatory curriculum to students in lower and upper grades.
11. Meet regularly and 1×1 with students and families regarding the college process and be available to address student/family concerns.
12. Write comprehensive letters of recommendation for each student on caseload.
1. Minimum 3 years experience as a high school college counselor required.
2. Expertise in Naviance software is strongly desired
3. Relevant Bachelor’s degree.
4. Ability to work in person, full time.
5. Familiarity with Orthodox Jewish culture desired.
Compensation: $65,000-$78,000 plus excellent benefits