Job Opening: Director of College Guidance
Location: Brooklyn, NY
The Yeshivah of Flatbush Joel Braverman High School is seeking a Director of College Guidance. The Director of College Guidance will be an integral and valued member of the school leadership team, advising on academic priorities and participating in important school-wide decisions. There are approximately 175 students in the graduating class.
- The Director will participate in broader educational decisions and initiatives together with the faculty and administration. The Director will partner with Administration, Faculty, and Guidance Staff to best support students and their families. The Director will bring a valued perspective to these conversations.
- The Director will develop a college guidance program for both parents and students to meet the needs and aspirations of our student body. The curriculum of this program will be differentiated to address the diversity of our school community.
- The Director will establish best practices in the department to foster a warm and welcoming environment for students and families, and a collegial and collaborative environment for the counselors. The Director will be responsible for monitoring and supervising counselors and to promote continued professional development among the college guidance staff.
- The Director will foster and encourage a student-centered environment where students and their families feel heard, understood, and supported. The Director will maintain and promote creative ways for the department to identify and serve students’ and families’ individual needs.
- The Director will support students’ search for options that match their cultural and religious standards as well as their academic abilities and aspirations.
- The Director will foster and maintain relationships with a relevant range of colleges, universities, and other programs. S/he will actively pursue connections with admissions professionals at schools that our students are interested in attending. As the school’s ambassador, s/he will educate those professionals in the unique rigors and qualities of the school’s educational program.
- The Director will guide the Yeshivah in how to best represent our students in their college applications. This includes updating our school profile in collaboration with administration, and in supporting faculty who write letters of recommendation.
- The Director will foster and maintain relationships with a range of professional organizations that comprise the college guidance community: NACAC, NYSACAC, CANNY, Counselor Advocacy for the Jewish University Experience (CAJUE), and other relevant associations.
- Possess significant leadership experience in the high school or college/university admissions community.
- Be committed to understanding YOFHS’s unique culture and mission.
- Command respect as a leader for open communication, collaboration, and team spirit.
- Demonstrate excellent communications skills, including dynamic public speaking abilities and a clear writing style.
- Demonstrate superior organizational and time management skills.
- Be committed to continued professional development and growth.
- Be able to share the optimism necessary for the college search and application process, balancing the hard realities.
- Be committed to building strong, individualized relationships with students and their families–warm, patient, empathetic, flexible, accessible, positive, and responsive.
- Be confident and comfortable in the spotlight, yet humble and open to constructive criticism.
- Jewish or familiar with the Jewish culture
Compensation: $125,000-$180,000+ plus plus fantastic benefits including excellent medical plan, pension with matching, 50% tuition off, 30% of salary can be pre-tax to any school, life insurance, health savings account pre-tax.
- Address Brooklyn, NY